Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas
Quesadillas are the perfect quick and delicious meal for warm summery days, and can be served for lunch or dinner with a simple salad. These quesadillas feature tender chicken in a rich tomato sauce with La Saucy Salsa Chilli & Garlic and plenty of melted cheese – what more could you want?
3 boneless chicken thighs
A tin of chopped tomatoes
1 red pepper
2 tbsp La Saucy Salsa Chilli & Garlic
Salt and black pepper
Plenty of grated cheese
4 soft flour tortillas
Sour cream & guacamole
Makes 4 quesadillas
- First make the tomato sauce – pop the chopped tomatoes in a small saucepan with a good sprinkle of oregano, and a pinch each of salt, sugar and black pepper. Leave to bubble gently for 20 minutes, without a lid on, then puree with an immersion blender.
- Next, finely chop the pepper and fry in a splash of olive oil until softened. Transfer to a side plate and fry the chicken, roughly chopped, in the same pan with the La Saucy Salsa Chilli & Garlic.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, transfer it to a clean chopping board and chop finely – it’s really important not to have any big pieces in your quesadilla filling, or the whole thing will leak and fall apart. Add the chopped chicken and peppers to the tomato sauce and stir through.
- Grate your cheese – you need to work quickly once you’re constructing the quesadilla so it’s important to have everything ready.
- Melt a little butter in a large frying pan, and then lay one tortilla inside it. On one semi-circular half only, spread a layer of grated cheese, then a thin layer of filling, and then another layer of melted cheese. Fold the clear half of the tortilla over the top and press down gently. Make sure you use plenty of cheese and don’t use too much filling – this will help the quesadilla stick together properly!
- After a minute or so, carefully flip the quesadilla over to cook the other side. You can serve them straight out of the pan as they come, or pop them into the oven to stay warm while you cook the others, adding a little more butter to the pan each time.