Chilli Halloumi Fries with Mint Yoghurt
Crispy, golden slices of halloumi, with a spicy kick from La Saucy Salsa Chilli & Garlic, and yoghurt with fresh mint for dipping – who could possibly resist? This is a gorgeous comfort food treat that’s really simple to make at home.
A couple of slices of white bread
3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp La Saucy Salsa Chilli & Garlic
A splash of olive oil
250ml vegetable oil, for deep frying
A handful of fresh mint
- First, marinate the halloumi for a real flavour kick. Cut the cheese into thick fingers, then mix the La Saucy Salsa Chilli & Garlic with a good splash of olive oil and drizzle all over the halloumi in a bowl. Set aside for a moment.
- Next, make the breadcrumbs – it’s worth taking a little time to make them properly so you get a really crisp coating. Start by blitzing the bread in a blender to make crumbs, then spread them out on a baking tray and put under the grill until golden.
- Allow them to cool for a minute, then use a rolling pin to grind them into really fine, dry crumbs. Get ready for deep-frying by laying out the flour on a small plate, and whisking the egg in a bowl.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a small saucepan and place on a high heat. While it warms up, take each halloumi slice in turn and roll in the flour, then dip in the egg (allowing excess to drip off) and finally roll in the breadcrumbs.
- You can test if the oil is hot enough by dropping in a breadcrumb – it should fizz on the surface. Use a spatula to lower the halloumi fries into the oil a couple at a time, gently turning them over until they’re golden, and then transfer them to a plate lined with a couple of sheets of kitchen paper to drain off the oil.
- Finally, to serve, chop the mint and mix two thirds of it with the natural yoghurt. Drizzle over the halloumi while it’s fresh and hot, and sprinkle with the rest of the mint and the pomegranate seeds.